The boys decided to color yesterday afternoon. Fine. I got the crayons down (they are not always accessible since I try to discourage the boys from expressing themselves all over the walls), Peter got a pad of paper, and Cooper got the flattened diaper box that he draws on. This coincided with some phone calls I had to make. I stayed nearby, but occasionally moved out of sight. At one point I walked into the dining room (the location of the artistic spree) just in time to see Peter grab handful after handful of crayons and chuck them across the room as he yelled, "Cooper's making a mess!"
He spent the next hour and a half vehemently denying he had strewn the crayons all over the floor.
I told Peter that he needed to clean-up the mess that he had made. Well, of course since he was holding to his assertion that he hadn't done the deed, he was quite indignant about being asked to clean it up. Multiple time-outs were administered, dinner was delayed, at least two calls were made to Bryan in order to maintain my composure.
Finally, he had about half the crayons picked up. He announced that he was worn-out and needed to stop until he had more energy. I guess I wasn't convincing enough when I told him that I did plenty of stuff without energy, because he didn't buy it. He began pleading for help. No, not help. He wanted me to come clean the crayons up for him.
I sometimes wonder if it's a blessing or a curse that I'm just as stubborn as Peter is.
I did not give in and kept saying that I knew he could clean up the mess if he stopped using his energy to complain and just went to work.
Peter: But I need help.
Me: I know you can do it Peter.
Peter: (in his whiniest voice) But I caaaaan't. I need heeeelp.
Me: (thinking I was being clever) Have Franklin help you.
Peter: Mom! I can't. He's not real. I need someone solid.
He had me there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Your story had me laughing out loud. Peter is acting like some of my 7th graders. I am always amazed when they deny something I have just witness them do. Peter must be advanced for his age.
Franklin, Franklin... He's only real when it's convenient.
Solid. Nice . . . and HILARIOUS!
That is ridiculously cute, although I'm sure the experience as a whole must have been SO aggravating!
I've had plenty of those kinds of moments with Logan, when he's supposed to clean something up (or eat his lunch -- another big one) and takes for-e-ver to do it, whining that it's too hard and he needs to take a rest. Drives me bonkers! Seems like us moms either spend our lives chasing our kids down or dragging them along. :-)
And man, your kid is clever. The fact that he can grasp what "solid" means is pretty good!!
Luke tells me he's too tired to pick stuff up all the time. I always say, "Oh, you poor baby. You better go to bed and sleep then." He always goes back to cleaning up. He hates sleeping.
good job! a few months back my boys dumped out ALL THE TOYS IN THEIR ROOM and made a mess 2 feet deep. They spent 2 days cleaning it up, with breaks for potty, food and sleep. They have NEVER done anything like that again.
Post a Comment