Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Squeeky Wheel

Bryan worked from home on Friday so I seized my chance and went to the doctor. I had been sick for a solid two weeks and, based on the complete exhaustion I was feeling, thought my cold had turned into a sinus infection. I had waited an extra week before going to the doctor, just to see if it would go away on its own. It hadn't.

After waiting for almost an hour, I was seen by the doctor. He did a quick exam and told me I probably just had a virus.

I did not take that very well.

I looked at him and said, "You're kidding, right? This is not normal exhaustion. This is not even normal new-baby exhaustion." He told me that viruses and infections share many of the same symptoms and that they really didn't like to give antibiotics unless the were absolutely necessary. He offered me a breathing treatment (one of my big complaints was that I couldn't breathe) and told me to take allergy medicine and a pain reliever.

"Okay," I asked, "what happens if I'm still sick in a week? Do I have to come back in? Can I call and ask for medicine?" No, he assured me that he wouldn't remember me. Awesome.

I finally wore him down and he offered to prescribe me an antibiotic, just in case. He said if I wasn't better in five days then I should definitely take it. 

The next morning I woke up after a full night of sleep and felt like I should crawl right back into bed, so I took the medicine. And you know what? Within twenty-four hours I was feeling significantly better. Yesterday was better still and today I'm back to doing crazy things like cleaning my house and taking my kids to the park.

Funny how taking medicine when you really need it can help.

No comments: