Thursday, September 25, 2014

Nauvoo

On Wednesday morning of our trek across the country we started our day by crossing the Mississippi. Remember the first time I crossed that mighty river? Well, I didn't yell and whoop this time, but it was still pretty awesome.


Why did we cross the Mississippi? To visit Nauvoo. We started at the Visitor's Center. We saw lots of beautiful paintings and sculptures, saw pioneer artifacts, and watched a movie about life in Nauvoo.


Then, after we had all enjoyed the history, clean bathrooms, and AC, we headed outside to queue up for a wagon ride. We got to know the horses, Lehi and Nephi, before we began.


We boasted the youngest passengers on the wagon, which just meant that we couldn't pay attention to the stories being told because we were trying to stop our children from poking at each other and distracting our fellow travelers. I thought it would be a short ride around a grove, something to give us a pioneer-like experience. This notion (founded on nothing but my own imagination) is why I didn't bring the diaper bag. I was wrong. The ride lasted for 45 minutes. I loved hearing the stories of the pioneers that settled Nauvoo, and seeing where those stories actually happened. But poor Sophie, she was a hungry and tired girl. I bounced and soothed and calmed and very nearly nursed her on the wagon, sans blanket. However, the ride ended just in time. I'm sure everyone on the wagon was grateful.


The best part of the day? The night before we went to Nauvoo we sent Bryan's mom a message letting her know where we would be sleeping, updating her on our progress. On Wednesday morning she talked to Bryan's sister Melinda and said that we would be in Nauvoo that day. Melinda and her family decided spur of the moment to load into their car and drive three hours to spend the day with us!

We loved seeing Melinda and Jake and their two little boys! I got to meet Sam, my newest nephew, and the kids got to spend some time with their only first cousins on Bryan's side of the family. Nathan was my little buddy all day and he often sought out my hand to hold. He is so sweet. It's a rare privilege when I get to be the aunt.

Our time was limited, so we picked only a few places to visit. We heard stories and got cookie samples at the Scovil Bakery, walked where Joseph Smith once walked on the original wood floor upstairs in the Cultural Hall, and spent time learning about pioneer life in the Family Living Center. Below you can see the kids working under the tutelage of one of the Senior missionaries, making rope.




Then most of our group listened to a cooper describe, in detail, the process of making a barrel. Our Cooper was pretty entertained, despite the expression on his face in the picture below.


I only heard parts of the explanation. Sweet Sophie was loudly letting me know she was tired, so we walked around outside and enjoyed the gorgeous gardens. Walking through the flowers, listening to the insect orchestra, feeling that glorious humidity on my skin, I can understand why the Saints loved Nauvoo. After Sophie dozed off she and I returned to the group.


While the grownups probably could have stayed and learned more (I was itching to listen to the bread-making demonstration) the kids were all tired and hungry. We gathered ourselves together and left. And of course, it wasn't until we were away from beautiful Nauvoo that we realized we hadn't taken a picture of the whole group. So we found a nice looking brick wall outside of Wendy's and had a little photo shoot. Nathan's pose is my favorite.


Look! Bryan was there too! I think Sam is hidden, since he can't walk yet and therefore probably didn't wander off. Also, Sophie looks like she's just tolerating our shenanigans at this point in the day.


We sent Melinda and company on their way (thank you for spending the day with us!). Then we went back to Nauvoo to the most important place in town.





The Nauvoo Temple is gorgeous, but it is the wonderful feeling of peace emanating from it that makes it truly magnificent. It is not just a building; it is the Lord's house.




Next time I hope to be in Nauvoo long enough to spend time inside the Temple as well as out. No matter that we were only there for a day, I am so thankful that we pushed through those first few days so we could dedicate more time to this beautiful place.


1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

Thanks for this wonderful blog. It is staring all of my favorite people.