Phoebe 's preschool lesson today focused on Christmas. I'm not sure what all of the discussion topics were, but she came home with activity pages about stockings and Christmas trees. And she listed off the holidays in their proper order, so I think they talked about the calendar as well.
As I was trying to extricate Phoebe from the princess costume she had donned at the conclusion of learning time, the mom who taught let me know that during lunch Phoebe had enlightened her classmates about the existence of Santa Claus. I was shocked. We don't teach that Santa comes and delivers presents, but we also don't come right out and debunk the whole thing. When the kids ask us, we are truthful, but we are careful not to volunteer information. As of now, I have not told Phoebe that he's not real.
On the way home, the following conversation took place.
Me: Phoebe, what did you tell the kids about Santa?
Phoebe: That he isn't real.
Me: Were the kids talking about Santa?
Phoebe: No.
Me: Then why did you tell them?
Phoebe: (with complete innocence) Because I wanted them to know.
She was concerned that I was mad at her. I assured her I wasn't, but that other parents might not like someone else telling their kids about Santa.
As for the other kids, none of them seemed to notice what she had said, so I guess no one's Christmas magic was shattered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment