Friday, January 10, 2020

Just Dance

Peter: Mom, I was looking at the blog and I notice you didn't post anything about the dance.

Me: No, I thought you didn't want me to. (pause) Do you want me to?

Peter: (exaggerated teenager sigh) I guess.

About two weeks ago Peter went to his first Stake Dance. He had tried once before a few months ago and it didn't work out. He was determined this time.

I loved Stake Dances. Sorry, let me fix that. I LOVED Stake Dances. I lived close enough to a few different Stakes that if we planned things right my friends and I could attend up to three dances each month, all on different weekends and at different locations, the farthest about 20 minutes away. I would bring bunches on my theatre friends, line them up for dance card interviews with my dad (one of the many benefits of having a dad in the Bishopric), and then we would dance!

Where we live now is a little more removed from other congregations. The dance that Peter went to was just over an hour away. One of the dads in the ward drove all the kids, which was nice for us. I figure we'll need to take our turn at some point.

Peter was the youngest of the bunch. He rocked out on the fast songs and reported that doing the worm on a gym floor doesn't feel great. His friends spent most of the slow songs convincing him to go ask someone to dance. He finally danced with one girl from our ward for the very end of one song and with another girl from his group for the final slow dance of the night.

I asked him what he thought of those dances. He said it was okay, but his legs were really sore because he wasn't used to "so much stepping side to side." And then I laughed out loud because I could picture right away how he danced.

I tried to take a picture of him before he left, but he wasn't so cooperative.




He's already got the next Stake Dance on the calendar!

1 comment:

Brett M said...

Those pictures are hilarious! He'll know how to avoid the paparazzi when he's rich and famous 😂

I love the description of the dancing style too. We used to call it the Deacon Shuffle but I guess it should be called the Teacher Shuffle?