Tuesday, July 15, 2025

On a Roll

The number of emails I get each day is pretty ridiculous. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I try to skim the titles and read the important ones. Because I prioritize staying off my phone when I'm with my kids, I tend to look through big batches of emails in a few minutes, a couple times a day. That means that many of my emails are left unread. Usually they're the newsletter/spam/junk mail kind of emails. But every once in a while I miss something important.

Tonight I discovered a few of those important missed emails. I shared my frustration with Bryan and he suggested I take a little time to clean out my inbox. Except I had nearly 34,000 unread emails.

Yup, 34,000.

He kindly showed me a trick to batch delete emails, something he uses when his inbox gets out of control. Which is almost never, because he stays on top of digital clutter. (For what it's worth, most of my focus goes to physical clutter rather than digital clutter.) He suggested I spend ten minutes a day working on it until my unread count was zero. I knew that once I started this project I would want to finish it as quickly as possible.

And that is how I came to spend the last four hours deleting emails.

I'm currently down to 14,895, which I think is pretty decent progress.

No comments: