Cooper was given the opportunity to speak at our Stake Conference last Sunday. He was one of nine people that gave ninety second talks. In many ways, it's harder to write a short talk than a long one. You need to be very deliberate in the words you use and the examples you give. Rambling is not an option. What was his topic? He was asked to speak about the blessings that come from living a morally clean life. I think he did a great job with this tricky topic.
And for the record, he spoke for one minute and thirty-five seconds, five seconds over his time. That's okay, he stuck much more closely to his time limit than most of the other speakers.
The Blessings
Living a morally clean life means following the law of chastity, in addition to the other covenants I have made. In a world that seems obsessed with wickedness and behavior directly contrary to this law, I can choose to stay strong and receive the blessings that come from that. Being morally clean also means being true in every thought and deed. This is stated clearly in the 13th Article of Faith, which says, in part: “We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men;”
In a 2013 devotional address to BYU-Idaho, Elder Tad R. Callister said,
“The blessings of living a clean and moral life are overwhelming. Such a life will bring self-confidence and self-esteem. It will result in a clear conscience. It will make us eligible for a spouse of like purity and will make the expression of the procreative power in the marriage relationship sweeter and more rewarding because we have reserved it for the time the Lord Himself has endorsed.”
As a high schooler, it’s no surprise that I am often surrounded by worldly influences that do not align with my standards. It can be difficult to feel the influence of the Holy Ghost in an environment like this, but staying morally clean makes it so I can feel his presence and hear his promptings. This spiritual clarity allows me to live a happier life knowing that I am making the correct choices. I am also able to think more clearly, and feel a deep sense of joy in spiritual circumstances, such as when I attend the temple or participate in youth activities such as FSY. I have a testimony that when we use our agency to avoid anything unclean, and live an honest and chaste life, then eternal blessings will flow into our lives, and we will be filled with peace, courage, a happier home, and a willingness to further serve the Lord. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


No comments:
Post a Comment