Ten points to anyone who can identify which musical the title comes from.
(Aside: I'm not really keeping track of points, but I wonder what the conversion rate of points to Schrute bucks is...)
Are you tired of reading about the mice in our house? I know I'm tired of experiencing it. I've mentally been writing this post for a few days. There was going to be lots of complaining and ranting about unsanitary living conditions and the burden of carting my kids around in the car for days because we couldn't be home due to the smell of bleach wafting about our house as a result of disinfecting the mouse droppings and about how all four of us have been sleeping in our room (often all in the same bed, ouch) because Peter's room is right next to the kitchen. Yeah, it was going to be nice and angry.
But I've changed my mind. And it's thanks to Pahoran and Captain Moroni.
I'm right at the end of the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon in my personal scripture study. In chapter 60 Moroni sends off an epistle to Pahoran, the Chief Judge of the land. This letter is full of all kinds of righteous indignation because the armies that are fighting to defend the liberty of the Nephites have not received any aid from the government. Moroni wants to know why and goes so far as to accuse Pahoran of being more concerned with obtaining power than protecting his people. It might sound odd, but this is kind of how I've felt towards our landlord this week. I don't think he's after power, but I haven't felt that he has our best interest in mind.
Pahoran could have been just as upset with Moroni for accusing him like that. He could have written an angry letter back. But he doesn't. Chapter 61 is his reply. He says he has been run out of the judgement seat and that's why Moroni hasn't gotten the supplies that the army needs. But he is so glad that Moroni has such strong feelings and is working in the defencse of his people.
I can only see the rodent problem from my perspective. Who knows how our landlord sees it. It's true that my landlord and I don't see eye to eye on the mouse thing, but I don't have to write a crazy post complaining about it. Who knows, I still might if the problem persists. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't like the problem, but maybe I can't see the whole picture. We won't put the boys in danger by staying in a place where there mice spreading disease, but I don't have to completely condemn the landlord for it either.
Maybe this is part of the lesson that I needed to learn from this particular trial.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow, that's definitely looking on the bright side of things! Awesome post -- one I'll be thinking about for awhile, I'm sure.
I can't imagine how frustrating the whole experience must be for you, especially with kids. I sure hope the landlord DOES do something about it soon!
Oh -- and I don't know the musical, but gosh, it sounds familiar.
Here's a hint for you musical guessers:
Chimney Stack
Starting To Crack,
The Mice Are Getting Bolder,
The Floor's Gone Slack,
Your Mother's Getting Older,
Your Father's Not Back,
And You Can't Just Sit Here Dreaming Pretty Dreams.
Maybe the mice will go "Into the Woods" and stay there, or at least into the stove on the patio.
Into the Woods, says Matt. in the scene when the baker and the baker's wife are talking...
OOOH! I know this! I didn't even need Bryan's hint! I just made Stephen watch Into the Woods a few weeks ago. He really liked it. I knew he would. How could he not?
Post a Comment