Thursday, July 22, 2010

Staypuff Marshmallow Mom

For the last two weeks I've had a problem with my feet and ankles swelling. A lot. They would go down at night only to return to their sausage-like state over the course of the next day.

I realize that this is probably a normal thing for most pregnant women, but I haven't experienced it since Peter was about three weeks from being born, and it was at that point that I was put on bed-rest for preeclampsia-like symptoms.

My feet never did this with Cooper.

A few days ago I awoke to discover that my feet were still puffy. My ankles had gone down in the night, but the tops of my feet had not. Not only was it worrisome, it was uncomfortable. I had to wear flip-flops to church on Sunday because nothing else would fit.

Tuesday night I went to Girl's Camp. Not to sleep (that would have been insane), just to participate in the skits. I knew I couldn't wear flip-flops, so I reluctantly pulled-out my sneakers and squeezed them onto my too-full feet. With determination I was even able to tie them.

I worried throughout the evening about my feet. I snagged a sitting role in our skit (one of the perks of being the director) and tried my best to stay off my feet, but I still had to walk around quite a bit. What would they look like at the end of the night? Would I be able to get my shoes off?

When I finally sat at my kitchen table at 10pm and began the process of pulling off my shoes I realized that although I was tired, my feet weren't sore. I got the shoes off, then went for the socks. Much to my delight, my feet looked normal. I mean, not-puffy-at-all normal. I could see my regularly bone-y and vein-y feet just like I used to. I think pulling the shoelaces tight over the tops of my feet helped squish out the extra water.

It was fabulous!

My ankles still look like they have small doughnuts around them, but I'm counting this as a victory.

1 comment:

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

I didn't know you were pregnant again! Congrats! And take it from one who knows about swelling, just wait until the post-baby water leaves your body... um yeah! Fun times! Ha ha ha!