So I spent a little time today thinking and praying about my lesson. I pulled our Book of Mormon Reader out and flipped to the story of Captain Moroni and the Title of Liberty. Looking over it made me think of the Pledge of Allegiance. I still wasn't sure where I was going with the lesson until we started.
I asked the boys what today was (Cooper, "Monday!") and we reviewed the purpose of Memorial Day. Then I read them the story of Captain Moroni. Bryan read Alma 46:12 which talks about the Title of Liberty. We discussed that the Nephites fought for their freedom, their religion, and their families just like Uncle Ian, Uncle Paul, Aunt Amanda, Uncle Dallin, cousin Josh, and cousin Mike are doing.
I told them that our country has a version of the Title of Liberty and we started memorizing the Pledge of Allegiance. We'll keep working on that throughout the week. Maybe next Monday we can make a Title of Liberty for our own family, something to hang on the wall as a visual reminder of what we hold dear.
It was a very good Family Home Evening.
3 comments:
Very inspirational. I had never made the connection between the pledge of allegiance and the title of liberty. It makes me think about the blessing and curse on the land, that if we follow Christ, we will be prospered, and if we don't, we will be destroyed. That realization makes me want to stand up and be counted on the side of Christ.
That sounds like a really cool lesson. I love that it was simple yet important and relevant. I love that it has an application you can carry through the week.
Also: I love that Cooper answered "Monday!" Cute!!
Loved the idea, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment