Thursday, January 3, 2013

Come, Follow Me

A few weeks ago I was called to be the Mia Maid Adviser in my ward and I'm going to teach my first lesson this week. The manual that I used when I taught the Laurels over the summer was the same book that I was taught out of when I was in the Young Women program, which means it was time for new material. While we were in Wisconsin I heard that the Church was prepping new lesson plans for the Youth, and they recently rolled them out.

Have you seen the Church's new curriculum for the Youth? It's fantastic. No more point-by-point lessons full of case studies to be read and discussed. Now the lessons are taken from the scriptures and from talks by General Authorities. The Young Women (and Young Men in their classes) are encouraged to share their insights. The teacher is not a lecturer, but rather a facilitator.

Guess what? This is how I've always approached teaching in the church. I'm thrilled with the new curriculum. I think it's terribly exciting. Even if you don't have any kids between the ages of 12 and 18, or a calling to work with them, I encourage you to go poke around the site and see the lessons. They would make great Family Home Evening and scripture study material as well.

1 comment:

Shari said...

It is exciting to have "new material" and a new approach. I've been studying it and reading all the talks in preparation for tomorrows "discussion." You'll have to let us know how it goes.