Monday, January 19, 2015

Called to Serve

When we were in Washington, Bryan and I both served in the Primary. At first we team taught the oldest group of kids, the ones that were transitioning to Young Men and Young Women. We loved it. We had a wonderful time teaching together. We should be used to that, but most of our team teaching at home is really team wrangling, so it was fun to be with kids who listened most of the time.

Then our assignments changed. I taught the class of kids getting baptized. Bryan, along with two other men, taught the Sunbeams, the youngest class in Primary. Phoebe was in his class. Most Sundays they had ten three and four year-olds. Even with three teachers, it was exhausting. 

A few months after moving here we were both asked to be in Primary again. This time Bryan taught the oldest group of boys and I was the Sunbeam teacher. And I was Phoebe's teacher. I would hold Sophie during the second hour of church while Bryan was teaching, then I would pass her to him during the third hour so I could teach my active class.

At the end of the year our assignments changed again. Bryan now has girls and boys in his class, but they're still older kids. I'm now in charge of the music for Primary! This calling is one that I've always wanted. It's my dream calling. When the member of the Bishopric asked me if I would serve in this capacity I actually said, "Oh yay!"

I took over the first week of the new year. It's gone well so far. I've spent hours pouring over lds.org and Pinterest and Sugardoodle looking at what I need to do and what others have done. I have two file boxes of supplies from the last ten years of Primary music in this ward. And since I've always wanted this calling I've been storing away ideas in case I ever got to serve in this capacity.

Given all of that preparation, it was surprising when I had a total brain block this past week. Each time I tried to plan the music for Sunday I couldn't think of anything to do. A good idea would enter my mind and then quickly exit. I finally settled for a fine, but rather mundane activity. And while I know mundane is occasionally acceptable, it is never my goal. I continued to brainstorm when a quiet reassurance came into my mind. "Don't worry about it, You will be fine." I packed my bag on Saturday night to ensure I didn't forget anything the next morning.

Sunday, as I was reminding the kids that they needed to finish eating breakfast so they could get their church clothes on, I noticed my phone was blinking. I picked it up to see if it was anything important. I had two emails, with three more to follow in quick succession, all notifying me that due to the frozen rain that was falling and the ice-skating-rink-like condition of the roads, church was canceled for the day.

I was indeed fine. And now I have another week to plan something slightly more creative.

No comments: