Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The End of K, 3 and 5

We made it. School ended for the year yesterday. Phoebe chose to wear the same outfit she wore on the first day of Kindergarten. I remembered the outfit too. But without looking at pictures, I have no idea what the boys wore on that first day. I wonder why that is.

I'm happy to say that Phoebe, who was heartbroken about leaving her beloved Kindergarten teacher, was in good spirits when I picked her up at the end of the day. She got to meet her teacher for first grade, and now Phoebe is excited for the summer to zoom past so she can begin her next school adventure.


Shortly before bedtime on Monday night, the kids asked if I would make bread for their teachers for the next day. One batch usually makes four loaves, so I did a quick count: one for Phoebe's teacher, one for Cooper's teacher, two for Peter's two main subject teachers. Sure, I said, I can do that. Then, after I had started, Peter asked if I would make an extra loaf for another teacher that he works with daily. And then Phoebe asked if I would make a loaf for her bus driver as well. So I made a double batch.

I don't recommend going to sleep at two in the morning before the last day of school. You probably won't have all the energy or patience you need for your freshly freed children.

The bread was good though.


We spent our first afternoon of break going through each piece of schoolwork that the kids have been collecting all year. This is usually a project I do on my own as we prepare to move. But we're not moving this summer, and I didn't want to do this work by myself. Peter said we could throw it all away as far as he was concerned. Cooper wanted me to take pictures of every single piece of schoolwork, so we could have a record. Phoebe refused to throw away anything, each piece is a treasure.

At the end of the afternoon, we had filled one and a half trash bags with papers.


After all that work (and yes, it was definitely work), we finally cleared the great room enough to have a celebratory pizza and movie filled evening. 


The kids are all looking forward to waking up today, wondering what we have planned for summer.

I'm wondering the same thing...

No comments: