Friday, April 19, 2019

House Party

We had grand plans for our first full day of spring break. Bryan took the day off from work and we aimed to have an adventure at a large museum and maybe even visit a family fun center. While Bryan and I worked out the details last night he said something about the alarming number of measles cases, including a large cluster not that far from where we live, and we both fell silent for a moment.

Due to all the illnesses he's had over the last few months, Topher's immune system is currently pretty poor. He's on antibiotics for an ear infection and I suspect he also had a sinus infection based on how much he improved once he started the medicine. He's a prime candidate to catch something as infectious as measles and he can't be immunized until his birthday next month. We both thought about how many people he could come in contact with at the places we planned to go.

I said a quick prayer asking if we should change our plans. We had told the kids that we would be going somewhere fun today and we knew they would be sad if that didn't happen. But we also felt strongly that we needed to wait until Topher was better protected. After some discussion, we came up with an alternative.

This morning we gathered the kids and explained why we weren't going on an adventure. They were surprisingly understanding. We presented our new plan and they all got really excited.

What are we doing instead? We listed several fun things that we could do at home as a family and everyone chose one thing. Today we all worked hard to get the house "Saturday clean," then we relaxed and played and ended the day with my activity of choice and part of Bryan's.

Bryan wanted to have a movie marathon over the weekend and have each person pick a movie for us to watch together. Sophie went first and we watched The Princess and the Frog tonight. I decided I wanted us to make our own personal pizzas for dinner. I made enough pizza dough for three big pizzas, then gave each of the kids enough for half a pizza to knead and toss and shape and adorn. We had lots of fun and the pizza was delicious!

Here are our pizza chefs, hard at work.


Topher didn't make his own pizza, but he did feed himself a cut-up banana, so that's something.


The girls both opted to make heart-shaped pizzas. Sophie was adventurous and put olives and pickles on her pizza. We thought the pickles would be gross, but it turned out that she loved the pickles but didn't care for the olives. Peter made a pizza shaped like pants (I don't know why) and Cooper shaped his like a light bulb, but I don't have pictures of either.


We have more stay-cation goodness planned for tomorrow!

No comments: