Sophie is especially excited since she is starting Kindergarten today. Her weekend leading up to this important milestone was pretty eventful. On Friday morning she was doing a tumble in the living room and twisted her wrist and hand at an odd angle. She started screaming and crying right away, which is not her usual MO. I came in and examined both arms. Her right arm, the one in pain, did look slightly swollen, but just barely. She sat with ice for quite some time, then resumed her activities, but she was definitely favoring it, even if only a little. We discussed taking her to get it x-rayed, but decided against it.
On Saturday morning I discovered that Sophie could use her hand, but she couldn't squeeze it into a tight fist. That reminded me of when Peter had a buckle break a few years ago. We found an urgent care facility nearby that did x-rays and Sophie and I paid them a call.
After an hour there, a doctor came and told us that he had read the x-ray and he was pretty sure she didn't have a break, but he would have the radiologist look at it and let us know if he saw something different. That's the reason I answered my phone on Sunday after church when the name of the urgent care appeared on caller ID. The radiologist suspects she might have a buckle break after all. He told us to wait a week and get another x-ray and a second opinion, then possibly meet with an orthopedist. At least she didn't have to start the school year with a cast, that's something right?
We were there for so long that she asked if the light above her head was GLaDOS from the video game Portal. Thankfully, it is not.
And if that wasn't enough adventure for one day, Sophie lost her first tooth on Saturday night! It had been loose for a while and had gotten even wigglier in the last few days. When I saw it before bedtime on Saturday I was mildly concerned she would swallow it in her sleep. I asked if she wanted me to pull it out, expecting her to decline. She said yes though, so I joggled it out. She said it didn't hurt despite the bit of root that hadn't dissolved away from the tooth. The tooth fairy left something that is rarely gifted at our house for teeth: money. It's almost as if she was unprepared for this tooth to fall out.
Sophie proudly showed her tooth gap to everyone she came in contact with at church on Sunday.
Let's hope the first day of school is a little less action-packed.




1 comment:
Wow! You lead an exciting life.
=0)
Post a Comment