I currently serve in three callings (jobs) at church. I'm a den leader for the cub scouts, I teach Peter's Sunday School class, and I'm the ward choir director. With all those roles some Sundays are hectic, some are less so.
Our choir sang the Hymplicity arrangement of Come Ye Children of the Lord this past Sunday. Due to the travel plans of choir members and our already small numbers, we had taken the summer off. I was nervous that no one would come back. And in fact, our first rehearsal a few weeks ago only had four people in attendance when we were supposed to start. However, by the time we were ready to sing for Sacrament Meeting we had twenty singers, a huge group for our small ward.
They sounded amazing. Truly. Their blend was gorgeous, their dynamics smooth and appropriate, even the a cappella section was lovely. While it would boost my ego to take total credit, the lion's share goes to the people that showed up to sing,
After the number was over and the next speaker was at the pulpit, I was in the hall with Topher. As I walked and bounced our wiggly boy, I was contemplating how well the song had gone. Then a new idea popped into my head: leading this choir is a tender mercy. I already had the cub scout and teaching callings (though I was teaching Primary rather than Sunday School at the time) when I was asked to take on the additional role of leading the choir. I said yes without hesitation. It's a blessing to serve in a calling that brings me so much joy and lets me exercise skills that had been dormant. I hadn't viewed it in that light before and the realization made me smile.
That's the thought that I shared with the Bishop when he thanked me after the meeting. Just in case they decide to release me from one of my jobs, I want him to know that I'm especially thankful for that calling.
Thursday, August 29, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment