My kids are loud. So, so, so, so loud. Sometimes Bryan and I have to excuse ourselves from dinner to sit in a quiet room and let our ears stop ringing. Usually we do this one at a time. Usually.
The thing that I think is interesting about their loudness is that they're generally unaware. They have no idea that they're speaking to you as if they're trying to be heard over gale force winds across a football field, when in reality they're standing next to you in a relatively calm space. I will often turn to them and say, "Did you know that you're yelling?" Then they apologize and shift to a stage whisper for a few words before cresendoing back to full volume.
Yesterday afternoon Peter was sitting across the room from me, reporting on his school day. I interrupted partway through and asked, "Peter, did you know that you're yelling?"
"Yes," he replied without any decrease in his volume, "I always know when I'm yelling."
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am afraid that some of the volume might be inherited from me, a known talker with a voice that carries...
Post a Comment