Friday, March 12, 2021

Mistaken Identity

Bryan's youngest first cousin, Anya, was born the same year as Sophie. Last week we attended Anya's baptism via Zoom. It was wonderful to see family and feel the sweet spirit of the meeting. After the baptism Anya's Bishop welcomed her as the newest member of the church.

At that point Sophie turned to me with a look of concern on her face. She asked, since she hasn't been baptized yet, did that mean she wasn't actually a member of the church yet. She looked genuinely concerned.

I started to explain that on the records of the church, rather than a member, she was considered a child of record.

She sat perfectly still, then took a deep breath and said, "I thought I was a child of God."

Bryan and I locked eyes and did our best not to laugh. I hugged her tightly and assured her that she is absolutely a child of God.

1 comment:

Papa Ron said...

A child of record is a special category. After such a child is baptized, they are recognized for their decision and having been baptized, but are not “welcomed” to the ward like a move-in because they belonged all along.