Thursday, April 21, 2022

Nifty

Our YM/YW activity last night was about indexing the recently released 1950 census. Part of the fun included a 1950s costume contest. We were joining virtually, so I hadn't given the costumes much thought until the night before. That's when I remembered a box in my basement of my Grandma Miriam's clothes that I had inherited when she moved out of her house.

Yesterday morning I brought the box up and started pulling out clothes. We found three dresses that had a major 70s vibe, a knee-length black dress, some Easter bonnets and purses that belonged to my aunts, a bag of wigs (?), some shawls, a few pairs of elbow-length gloves, fur collars (real, I think), velvet collars and cuffs, a few hats, and one amazing black skirt suit. Phoebe tried on the skirt suit and it fit well enough to wear for the activity.

Topher and Sophie tried on a few things as well.





Peter wore this awesome shirt that Uncle Jordan and Aunt Leah brought home from their honeymoon more than four years ago. And I attempted to give his hair some lift. Mousse and ratting were both employed to achieve this look.


And I happened to find this shirt for Cooper at Target yesterday afternoon. Did you know that the plastic flamingo lawn ornament was created in 1957?


I, as one of the YW leaders, dressed up with a scarf and a high ponytail.


We were the only ones to join the activity virtually, so none of us thought we were in the running for a prize from the contest. That's why we were so surprised that Phoebe won first place! I guess it paid to wear something from the actual decade (or close to it) that we were celebrating.

Phoebe, in costume, with hair, purse, and shoes.

No comments: