Thursday, April 14, 2022

Timber!

Last Saturday Peter and Cooper helped me remove a hazard from our front yard. We had three extremely thorny bushes that had grown so large they were reaching out over the sidewalk. I had already decided I wanted to get rid of them, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. The thorns were strong enough to go through gloves and the soles of shoes, so we had to be careful. In the end, I used a new pair of loppers and gingerly maneuvered as I snipped. Once the branches fell, Peter used a long grabbing tool to pick them up and put them in a trash bag. Cooper manned the rake and the broom to gather any sharp bits that flew off. That makes the whole project sound organized and orderly, but it was mostly chaos. I'm happy with the final result. We'll dig the bushes out soon, which will be easier now that they have no thorns.

I forgot to take a before shot, so I found this one from way back in February. They had grown a lot more since then.


Here's one after I trimmed them all back, right before I decided to chop them down as much as I could.


In progress.


The final (so far) result. I'm thrilled to have those awful prickly parts gone.

No comments: