Shortly after General Conference last month, my 91-year-old grandma made the decision to be sealed to her late ex-husband, something that I didn't even know was an option. She would then be sealed to her two children, including my mom. I had the thought that I'd like to be there, assuming it would be far in the future. Then I found out they were hoping to have it done as soon as possible. I felt wistful that I live on the other side of the country and wrote off the possibility of going. But the thought of attending kept coming back. I mentioned it to Bryan and he agreed right away, I should go to California for this sacred event.
Unfortunately, there were some circumstances that kept the date from being firm. A date was picked and I quickly looked for flights. And then that date was canceled and tentatively bumped back a week. I had toyed with surprising them with my arrival, but I needed to know if the date was going to change. Also, it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't surprise a 91-year-old. I texted my Mom and let her know what I wanted to do. They were delighted, however they wouldn't know the actual date until just a few days before.
And that is why I bought a plane ticket on a Thursday and got on a plane the very next morning. I flew from our local small airport down to Charlotte, North Carolina, then from NC to San Diego where my dad met me at the airport. I got into the habit of texting a selfie to Bryan each time I was safely in my seat after boarding.
The last time I was home was May of 2013. They've come to see us many times, but I hadn't been to California in nine and a half years. That's too long. When I got to my parents house we stayed up much too late talking (especially since I was still on Eastern time) and had a great visit.
The next morning my parents drove to the San Diego Temple in one car while I drove with Grandma in the other car.
This is where Bryan and I were married. I love this Temple.
I was asked to be a witness for the sealing, which I happily agreed to. When my Mom was sealed to her Mom it was as if I could feel the broken link in our family being made whole. The sealing was a beautiful and sacred experience.
We picked up some celebratory In-N-Out on the way home from the Temple.
The next day, after attending church with my dad, Grandma Bonnie and I drove to the beach. We found the perfect parking spot so that she could stay in the car and watch the waves while I hopped out to put my feet in the water. Oh how I have missed the Pacific Ocean. We were there at sunset which was breathtaking.
And then I had to leave bright and early the next day. My Dad was the airport chauffer and I snapped a few pictures with everyone before I got on the road.
I flew from San Diego to Phoenix, then from Phoenix to Philadelphia on a fancy, new plane.
Where other than the Philadelphia airport would you find a LEGO Liberty Bell?
The final leg of my journey was on a luxury bus that took me from the Philadelphia airport to our local airport. I was exhausted and sore when Bryan picked me up, but so happy to have made the trip.
Mom and Dad, thanks for letting me invite myself to your home for the weekend. Grandma and Mom, thank you for letting me be there for your very special day. And Bryan, thanks for encouraging me to go and for keeping everyone alive while I was gone.













2 comments:
Thank you Margot for coming to see us, now you are mine eternally.
This is so, so neat. I'm so glad you got to go!
Post a Comment