One of Bryan's Christmas gifts was a new suit. It's been about ten years since he bought one and one of the buttons recently broke in half on his old suit. It's a good thing the weather is cold because he could get away with wearing a sweater to church instead of his suit jacket. He picked the new suit out, ordered it, tried it on when it arrived, and handed it to me to wrap. The pants needed to be hemmed, but he figured that wouldn't be hard to arrange.
Then he learned it would take six weeks to tailor and would cost roughly a third of the price of the suit. He started talking about hemming it himself and I asked if he needed me to do it. We've since learned that he thought I was offering to help when in reality I was asking if I needed to do it because I have more sewing experience. He said yes. Did I know how to hem anything? No, no I did not. But I knew his mom, a sewing wizard, was coming after Christmas so maybe I could ask her to teach me how.
Getting COVID threw a wrench in most of our plans that week, but on the last day they were here she patiently walked me through how to do a blind hem using my sewing machine. After she left I practiced a few times on some scrap fabric since I was worried about ruining Bryan's new suit. On Saturday night I finally got brave enough to actually hem the pants. And it worked! He wore his new suit to church the next day.
Here's a picture of the settings needed to do a blind hem, because I will definitely forget without this reminder. Shari, thank you for teaching me a new skill!

1 comment:
I am so happy you were able to do it. Learning to blind hem stitch is like doing magic! No one sees all those beautiful stitches and like magic you have a finished hem.
Post a Comment