In February I noticed that three of our four bookcases had broken, all failing in the same way. We talked about buying new ones, but I had wanted to have built-in bookcases and figured there was no reason to buy another set of placeholders. That's when I started designing built-in bookcases for our library.
It's now almost six months later. I've spent that time designing, calculating shelf width, accounting for outlets and air vents, pricing lumber, purchasing lumber, being mentored by friends who do carpentry, and watching so many hours of building tutorials on YouTube that I've lost count. To fill two walls with shelves, I'm going to need to build five individual standard bookcases and one corner bookcase. I've learned how to use a miter saw, spent a little time using a circular saw, and used the hole saw bit for the drill. I've learned to do pocket screws, countersink screws, use a brad nailer, apply wood glue, and that we will never have enough clamps.
Bryan and I finally built the frame for the first bookcase on Friday night. It was a two-person job to hold the corners and the corner clamping jigs (that we made from scrap lumber) in place and tighten the clamps. The wood glue had to dry for twenty-four hours before we could move it. On Saturday afternoon Bryan and I bought 5mm thick plywood for the backs. Our plan was to have dinner and do bedtime with the younger kids, then cut the back and attach it to the first bookshelf. After so many months of working on this project I was incredibly anxious to have something done.
When it was finally time Bryan and I went out to the garage. We had put the shelf together front side up, so we needed to flip it over to attach the back. Bryan manned the bottom while I lifted the top. As we turned it over, the weight of the shelf started to get away from me. My left arm was holding the higher side and was lifted about even with my head when I thought I might drop the shelf. It tipped over a little bit more and just then I felt a pop in the inside of my upper left arm. We set the shelf down.
My left arm dropped to my side feeling much too heavy. I told Bryan what happened and that my arm didn't feel right. He grabbed a few ice packs and insisted I go inside and sit down while I iced it. That's when the pain started. I was aware of pain where I felt the pop, but also pain shooting down my arm into my elbow and then the back of my hand. I also lost some feeling in the back of my arm.
And that is why I don't have a picture of a finished bookshelf to share. And why I spent a few hours on Saturday night in the ER (at Bryan's insistence) making sure no major damage had been done. It's not broken and we don't think anything was torn. It appears to a strain or sprain. The pain topped out at a seven while in the ER and (when I have to move it) now is between a three and a five. If I don't have to lift it it's maybe a two. I couldn't really grip with my left hand on Saturday night, but my grip strength is almost back to normal. I still can only lift my arm a few inches though. I've been gently stretching it and, while painful, it's helping me increase my movement.
I wore a sling to church so people wouldn't touch my arm (someone still touched my arm, while asking what was wrong) and so the primary kids would give it some space (they did, unlike the adult who touched my arm). I did singing time one handed, including teaching them the sign language to a new song we were learning. Sophie was a good sport and came up to the front to demonstrate when I needed two hands to show a sign. I could have switched to a different activity, but I really wanted them to learn the signs for that song.
I have no idea how long it will take me to heal. I'm supposed to call my doctor today for a follow-up visit. I think it's a good sign that I was able to type this whole post. I can't dress myself without help right now, but at least I can type. Granted, I did have to use my right hand to lift my left hand onto the keyboard.
I really hope it doesn't take another six months to finish those bookcases.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I hope it's nothing serious and I'd healing up quickly!!
Post a Comment