Thursday, November 28, 2024

So Many Leaves

I was in charge of singing time on Sunday. We needed to start learning When Joseph Went to Bethlehem, but I also wanted to include Thanksgiving in our activity. I had several ideas, but nothing really gelled until I was walking down the hallway to set up right before primary started.

I asked the kids what holiday was happening this week. A few said Christmas, but at least one knew it was Thanksgiving. Then I asked about their Thanksgiving traditions. After a few of them answered, I told them about our Thanksgiving tree tradition. Then I drew a bare tree on the chalkboard. If I had known beforehand that this was the plan, I would have asked Bryan to draw it. The kids had to make do with my artistic attempt instead. I told them they were going to help me fill in the leaves on the tree.

Then I taught them the first verse of the song. After we'd sung the whole verse at least once, I told them that they would get to decide how we practiced it, but they would need to pay a price first. They all looked shocked. I told them that the cost of a practice suggestion was saying something they're thankful for. For example, the first little girl that I called on said she was thankful for her family. After I wrote that on the tree and drew a giant leaf around it, she said she wanted us to sing opera-style. It was awesome.


The kids were creative (we sang county-style, danced disco, mooed like cows, took turns between the boys and the girls, and spoke the words in fancy British accents along with the music) and we all got to think about things we're thankful for. I added the last item: I said I'm thankful for primary and then we all stood and sang like we will in our Christmas sacrament meeting. 

I think it was a success.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

GCC said...

Awww- love this idea!!