Tuesday, November 19, 2024

What They've Learned

Topher and Sophie each got to write their own parts for the primary program. I read the prompt to Topher one Sunday after church and he dictated his talk to me on the spot. I asked a few clarifying questions, then wrote it all down. Sophie's took a little more time and a lot more effort on her part. They're both great talks.

Topher's talk:

My favorite story from The Book of Mormon is when Nephi and his brothers went back to Jerusalem to get the brass plates. God told them to go get the plates because Nephi's family needed them to learn more about God and Jesus Christ. It's my favorite story because I like how they never gave up and how they kept trying. They obeyed what Heavenly Father asked them to do. That took a lot of faith.

Sophie's talk:

This year during my study of the Book of Mormon I have learned that it takes faith to share the gospel with people. I like the story in Alma 17-19 about a woman named Abish. She was a servant in King Lamoni’s household who had great faith in and love for the Lord. One day a man named Ammon came to the Lamanites and preached to the king and queen about Jesus Christ. The spirit was so strong that everyone fell to the ground and did not move. Abish saw them and recognized what had just happened. Alma chapter 19 verse 17 states: 

“17 Thus, having been converted to the Lord, and never having made it known, therefore, when she saw that all the servants of Lamoni had fallen to the earth…she knew that it was the power of God; and supposing that this opportunity, by making known unto the people what had happened among them, that by beholding this scene it would cause them to believe in the power of God, therefore she ran forth from house to house, making it known unto the people.”

Abish wanted to show the people so they could feel how she felt. I love this. I want to be like Abish and share the gospel with my friends. At school one day I was wearing a bracelet that said “I Am a Child of God.” A friend saw it and asked if I was Christen. I said yes and that I was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Saints. I am very glad that I got to share with someone what I believe in and I look forward to more missionary opportunities.

I bear my testimony that when we share the gospel with others that we are gathering Israel and we are making Jesus and Heavenly Father happy. 

No comments: