Friday, June 18, 2010

Iron-y

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. One of the comments I got about my jumpy legs suggested they might be caused by a lack of iron. I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and one of the first things they told me was that my iron was low. I didn't even know they had checked my iron, I thought they had just done my glucose test at my last appointment. My glucose was fine, but my iron was low by just a few points, although the word anemic was never specifically mentioned. Being the fan of all-things-steak that he is, Bryan was pleasantly surprised that they told me to eat more red meat.

In addition to recommending that I eat more cow and leafy greens, they sent me home with four different samples of iron supplements. The nurse talked about how some people have trouble taking iron and that I might find I like one supplement over the others. When I pressed for details about what she meant, she said that iron can upset some people's stomachs.

Turns out, I'm one of those people.

I took one of the supplements on Wednesday night, but not last night. That's mostly because I want Bryan to be able to go to work today rather than stay home and take care of the boys while I sleep off the effects of staying up all night emptying the contents of my stomach, like he did yesterday. That was not fun. I finally started to feel better around dinnertime.

Instead of taking a supplement yesterday, I put my trust in a large spinach salad and a beef burrito. I kind of wish I could up my iron just by eating iron-rich food, but I guess that's not going to cut it. I'll try a different supplement tonight, since tomorrow is Saturday and I won't be keeping Bryan home from work if I end up spending the wee hours of the morning trying not to lose my dinner.

Yum.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Raisins are high in iron also. I don't know if you like raisins or not.

My life in a blog said...

Shredded wheat is VERY high in iron, as are quaker oatmeal squares, if they aren't too high in sugar...:)
ps. I'm dying to know what kind of potty words Peter says...