Monday, February 13, 2012

The Question

Eleven years ago this weekend I came home from another wonderful date with Bryan. When I knelt down to say my prayers that night I told Heavenly Father that I would really like to marry this young man, but that I would leave it up to Him.

The next night I had to lock-up, one of my Resident Assistant duties. Bryan kept me company as I walked between buildings and swept the lobbies clean of anyone that wasn't supposed to be there. Bryan was jumpy and nervous and had trouble expressing himself clearly, very unusual behavior for such an articulate fellow.

When we finished the buildings we sat down on the steps outside the backdoor to my apartment. Our conversation was a spiritual one. Bryan still seemed unsettled and I wasn't sure what was going on. Then a switch was flipped and he was calm.

He looked at me and said, "Margot, I want you to go inside and pray to Heavenly Father and ask Him if He approves of me for you. And if He does, I want to know if you would be my wife."

As he spoke a grin spread across my face. I started slowly nodding yes.

Bryan looked confused, "Yes you'll pray?"

Laughter bubbled up out of me, "No."

He now looked much more hurt than confused, "No you won't pray?"

I looked into his eyes and said, "Yes."

A light of understanding began to dawn, "YES, yes?"

"Yes."

He didn't know that I had already prayed and asked that question. Bryan's proposal was my answer.

Happy Eleventh Engagement Anniversary Bryan!

1 comment: