Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Looking for Inspiration

I got a call tonight asking me to sing at a dinner at the end of August. It's for a large (like, a few hundred) group of women and the song needs to be motivational. Since all of my music is packed away in a storage unit in Provo, I spent the last few hours Googling "inspirational songs" and listening to YouTube clips.

And now I am turning to you, my faithful few readers, for song ideas. Can you think of a song that would inspire a group of women to help them accomplish hard things? And one that I can sing? And maybe one that's not a downer? Seriously, I could really use suggestions here.

11 comments:

Jordan said...

That one song from the Prince of Egypt? I don't remember the name, but it got radio play.

Beth said...

My two recent favorites are more about relying on the Lord: "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Me" (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwzMNKAT0p4 ) and "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul" (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ig_aM3zgw ).

Maybe those are kind of "downers" (they are kind of slower) but I love them.

Seriously, the hymnbook is a good resource, too! One of our best recent musical numbers in sacrament meeting was two YW singing "I Need Thee Every Hour" -- one sang her verse in Spanish. But the music was just the hymnbook. It was simple and beautiful.

Good luck; I know it will be beautiful!

Melinda said...

The church's youth page has some songs that might work:

https://www.lds.org/youth/music?lang=eng

I like "Live like you believe" by jenny Phillips but there are lots of others (some are kind of EFY-ish but might work for your event)

Brett M said...

Another pretty Jenny Philips song is "Daughter of a King." If you're leaning toward something not so churchy then maybe "So Small" by Carrie Underwood?

Is this for the opening social?

Margot said...

Thanks guys. These are good suggestions, but I should have clarified that it can't be a church song. I kind of wish it could be, I think I would have more options then.

So, any more secular song suggestions? Please?

Marc R. said...

Maybe "The Rose" or "Wind Beneath My Wings"?

Lisa said...

IN my daughters eyes, by martina mcbride?

Brett M said...

Jodee Messina's "Bring on the Rain" is another good one

Amanda said...

You could try "Whole Wide World" by Mindy Gledhill. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for stylistically, but the lyrics are good.

Andrea said...

"Climb Every Mountain", Glee version of "Defying Gravity" or "For Good", Eva Cassidy arrangement of "True Colors". I'll keep thinking about it and give you more suggestions if I think of some.

amanda said...

Hero by Mariah Carey
Reach by Gloria Estefan
WIN by Brian McKNight
I hope you Dance by Le Ann Womack
When you Believe by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston