The boys were so excited when they got home from school today, they simply couldn't wait. They both pulled their handcrafted Mother's Day gifts from their backpacks and presented them to me. Peter said that it was okay because it was Mother's Day Eve Eve.
As I looked at the handmade bookmark from Cooper and the popsicle-stick-framed picture of Peter I had a realization: I'm a mom.
Hold on, you're thinking, haven't you been a mom for like, nine years? Is this really new information?
That's true, but somehow the reality of it hit me. I'm a mom, a mom with kids old enough to understand Mother's Day and to make sweet, crafty gifts for me at school. I'm a mom that spends most of her time taking care of and worrying about those gift givers. And, looking at how quickly the last nine years have flown, I'm a mom who understands that this time with children small enough to delight in these precious paper keepsakes is fleeting.
I hugged each boy and told them how much I loved the presents. And I meant it. I didn't need to falsely praise, I could see the excitement in their eyes as they watched for my reaction. I knew it was important to them, so it was important to me too.
Have a wonderful Mother's Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment