Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Snow Pi Day

If anyone has been watching the news the past few days, you may have seen reports on Winter Storm Stella. After seeing the forecast, I, and many other people in my area, visited grocery stores on Monday to stock up. By Monday evening the superintendent of schools had declared that Tuesday would be a snow day. Bryan's office announced that they wouldn't even be open yesterday; they didn't want anyone to be stuck at work with no clear path to get home. Bryan and I were most concerned about the power going out. I stayed up late on Monday washing dishes and clothes, just in case our power did get knocked out I wanted everything to be clean, in case it didn't come back on for a few days.

Our snow day turned out to be beautifully relaxing. We had a pajama day, the kids watched movies, Bryan and I slept in. I got to sleep, exercise, and shower, all on the same day! That almost never happens. A quick internet search revealed that we got between 15" and 19" of snow yesterday. In the afternoon Bryan and Cooper ventured outside to clear that snow from our driveway and sidewalk. Two and a half hours later, and with help from our neighbors, they finally finished.

This is after the roads and sidewalks were plowed. When it started snowing last night, there was almost no snow on the ground.

Cooper had lots of fun and I was very thankful that I got to be the indoors parent. I spent my time baking bread and making pie.

That's right, we had a snow day AND Pi Day.

We celebrated my favorite made-up holiday by eating chocolate cream pie, chicken pot pie, and cherry cheesecake pie, in that order.



Apparently not all of the roads were cleared yesterday, because we're having another snow day today. While I'm not thrilled that now the school year will be longer, I am happy for the break. Our school district did away with Spring Break this year, opting instead for Spring Four-Day-Weekend. I think I'll count our two-day reprieve as a mini-Spring Break.

In case you were wondering, the power did go out, for about a minute, right around 9PM. The only harm it caused us was an interruption to a family viewing of That Thing You Do and a momentary panic as I tried to remember where my phone/flashlight had wandered.

1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

I'm so thankful that you're safe. I do watch the news and I was very concerned when I heard your weather report. I'm happy you got a much-needed of day arrest from your daily chores. I didn't see a snowman but maybe shoveling the snow was enough. Stay safe my sweet Family.