Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby Talk



My brother Ian called today and I put him on speaker phone so he could talk to Peter. The last couple of times we've talked he's been disappointed that Peter was already asleep, so we took advantage of Peter being bright eyed to initiate some uncle/nephew bonding.

In my current state of exhaustion I don't remember the context of the exchange, but for some reason Ian asked Peter if he knew what a dwarf was. Peter's blank look said he didn't, so I quickly said that a dwarf was a person that did not grow to the same height as most adults because of something in their genetic makeup. I thought that was concise enough for a brief answer, but Ian started laughing. I asked what was so funny. Apparently most people don't use phrases like "genetic makeup" when explaining things to their 2-year-old.

Dude, why do you think he has such a ridiculously huge vocabulary? My whole family uses big words because my Dad is basically a walking thesaurus, which I think is awesome. We're just passing that on to the next generation.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm giggling just b/c I would have told him about mythical dwarfs -- little men who live in the forest & are usually good hosts if you need help. (:

Crystal said...

I would like to see the nursery leaders face when Peter discusses genetic make up with the other two year olds.