We're having a "staycation." Yes, that is a made-up word (Bryan HATES it). Because we're here and not in California we've been trying to find fun stuff to do locally. Our big morning activity yesterday was something brand new for both boys.
We went to a movie.
In a theater.
And we stayed the whole time.
We took the boys to see Toy Story 3. In case you're wondering, all the positive reviews are true. It was a wonderful movie. And I cried. A lot. Not as much as I did during Up, but still quite a bit. Bryan told me that he got misty-eyed too. The boys really enjoyed the movie, especially Peter. Cooper stayed in his seat almost the whole time and sat on my lap for the few minutes he wasn't. Granted, many Red Vines and Smarties were required to maintain Cooper's cordial demeanor, but it was a special occasion, right?
There was a moment toward the end of the movie that got particularly intense. Peter started to cry and shout, "What's going to happen to Woody? What's going to happen to Woody? I don't want to be here anymore!" Bryan pulled Peter onto his lap and held him until the scene passed. Peter was fine after that.
I'm pretty impressed that Cooper stayed for the entire movie. I went expecting to have to take him out for at least part of the time. Also, we went at the perfect time. It was the first showing of the day. There weren't very many people there and those that were there were young families; I doubt that anyone was going with the expectation of complete silence.
Bryan and I agreed that it was the perfect first movie for the boys. And Peter has been asking questions about it ever since the movie ended. Lots of "why did this happen?" and "why did that happen?" He also pointed out that the voice of the pig was also the voice of Mac from Cars. He's already identifying actors and assembling their body of work in his head, which is further confirmation that he is my child.
I hope today's activities go as well as yesterday's did.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Peter looks totally focused. I’m impressed that he recognized the voice of John Ratzenberger as Hamm the pig from Toy Story, and Mack the truck from Cars. Peter must have a good ear. Cooper did really well for a two-year-old. By the way, I like the word staycation. One of our best family vacations was a staycation.
I totally agree with staycation idea. We do them a lot. But I want my family to spend their staycation with us so someone has to go on vacation.
I loved Toy Story 3. I cried at the end as well. I cried at the part where the toys were accepting of the fire. It was so good!
Post a Comment