Friday, January 21, 2011

The Other Shoe Dropped

I almost forgot to post today. You'd think that after two years a habit would be ingrained, but apparently not. Or maybe it's because today has been very... odd.

You see, Cooper's Tuesday illness hit the rest of us within a space of fours hours. It picked us off one at a time. First me, then Bryan, then Peter, then Phoebe. While it was awful for the bigger people (and it was), we were mostly concerned about Phoebe. She surprised us by handling it better than anyone. She seemed to understand that she couldn't eat and didn't even ask to nurse, a highly unusual thing for our girl that loves to eat. And while she was clearly in pain when she threw-up, she went back to sleep easily each time.

Not much sleeping happened for me or Bryan or Peter, at least, not more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time. Maybe that's why I almost forgot to post: today just feels like an extension of yesterday.

We're on the mend now, although we've all been left with extreme body aches and wicked (not awesome) headaches. And poor Cooper. Because he was sick and recovered before anyone else he had lots of happy, two-year-old energy today and absolutely no one to play with. I gathered the strength in the evening to sit and read to him, but he was more interested in jumping on my bed and running around my room. Funny how not eating food for twenty-four hours (and still being responsible for another person's nutritional needs) can leave you a bit low on energy.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I am so sorry that you have had such a rough week. I am glad that you're on the mend, and that Cooper is fully recovered. I hate the flu!