Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TV as Preschool

We watched a lot of TV last week. A LOT. Way more than I was comfortable with, but because we were all so very sick, there wasn't much else we could do. While checking to see what kid friendly shows would be coming on when, I discovered that we get Nick Jr.

Nick Jr. shows Franklin.

We switched from PBS and Disney Channel to Nick Jr. on Friday. Peter spent some time explaining to me how and why Franklin got into the television. There were other shows the boys enjoyed as well, such as Toot and Puddle, Little Bear, Olivia, basically all the shows that were based on literature.

They did NOT like Yo Gabba Gabba.

One thing that I thought was interesting about Nick Jr. was their slogan: It's like Preschool on Television. As first I appreciated the educational focus and the puzzles that popped up during commercial breaks. Then it occurred to me, "I bet there are parents that plop their children in front of the TV for hours at a time thinking that it's great because it's 'just like Preschool'."

And that's when I turned off the TV.

2 comments:

Marc R. said...

Have you thought about why the puzzles were among the commercials?

Margot said...

I have two thoughts about that.

1) They were trying to make their programing instructional and thus added puzzles between the shows.

2) They didn't want their viewers to change the channel during the commercials and used games, split into parts (watch the fist section of the game now and we'll show you the next part after these ads) to keep kids glued to the screen.

What do you think Dad?