Friday, January 14, 2011

What's Your Sign?

I usually go for something funny with the title, but this time I'm really asking the question: what's your sign? It might not be what you think. According to this article from Time.com everything has shifted. There's even a new sign (well, it's actually an old sign that has been brought back). I'll let you read the article for the why behind the change.

I don't read my horoscope daily or make my decisions based on astrological information, but I have always identified with the description of a Cancer:

Deeply intuitive and sentimental, Cancer can be one of the most challenging Zodiac signs to get to know. Emotion runs strong for this sign, and when it comes to family and home, nothing is more important. Sympathetic and empathetic, Cancerians are greatly attuned to those around them. Devotion is the keyword for this sign, making them wonderfully sensitive people to be around.

Now suddenly I'm a Gemini?

Versatility is a great keyword for this dual sign. Expressive and quick-witted, the Gemini presents two distinctive sides to his or her personality, and you can never be sure with which one you're going to come face-to-face. On one hand, the Gemini can be outgoing, flirtatious, communicative, and ready for fun, fun, fun. Yet when the other twin is present, you can find this air sign contemplative, serious, restless, and even indecisive. Both twins are able to adapt to life's circumstances well, making them wonderful people to know. Things are never boring when a Gemini is on the scene.

Sure, I'm outgoing, expressive, and quick-witted (and humble, obviously), but that's where the similarities end. No, I think that fits Bryan (who has always been a Gemini) much better than it fits me.

What do you think about this change? Do you feel that a part of your identity has shifted? Are you one of the few that didn't change at all? Is it all stuff and non-sense that doesn't matter anyway?

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Marc R. said...

You remember the dream of Joseph who was sold into Egypt, that his brothers' stars (or perhaps constellations) bowed down to him (Genesis 37)? In Genesis 49, Jacob gives his sons patriarchal blessings that tied them to related images (constellations). How many do you recognize from the the modern zodiac? I see Aquarius (Reuben), Gemini (Levin and Simeon), Leo (Judah), Aries (Naphtali), even Opiuchius (Dan). Then there are some I don't recognize: a soldier (Gad--a play on his name), ships (Zebulon), an ass (Issachar), and a wolf (Benjamin). Finally there are a couple that don't seem connected at all: bread (Asher) and a tree branch (Joseph), I don't think these images are linked to the boy's birth dates. It seems much more likely that these shepherds had plenty of time at night to study the stars and tell stories. The constellations were the ancients' chalk board. Still it's clear that the images have changed in the last 4,000 years. What do you think?

Beth said...

I was always an Aquarius but I guess I'm a Capricorn now. I never felt like I fit the zodiac sign -- someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer? A trendsetter? That is NOT me! But in looking at the Capricorn description, that seems much closer: conservative and cautious while still being an overachiever. Interesting.

Kayla Moncur said...

Huh, I'm an Aries now. Weird.

Jordan said...

I always like the Chinese Zodiac better.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

i think it's a bunch of malarky.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

i've also heard that it only applies to people born after 2009 or something... since it's all about the sun when you were born... or something... whatever. i don't read the daily scopes anyway :)