Thursday, March 10, 2011

Potato Peel Pie

Book club is tonight and I'm hosting. The book we're discussing? Only one of the best books I've read in recent memory:

Have you read this book? If so, what did you think? Do you have any great questions I could ask at book club to get a discussion going? Better yet, any ideas for a treat? I looked up recipes for Potato Peel Pie and... it does not look good. Maybe something with milk in honor of the Guernsey cow? Or perhaps a snack made from rationed food?

Oh, and if you haven't read it, you should. I highly recommend it.

6 comments:

Shari said...

I read that book. It was good.Isn't one of the under lying stories lines about the little girl who was watched after by some of the member of the society until her "missing mother" could be "found" ???? I don't want to give anything away. I would also recommend prayers for sale by sandra dallas. Serve cheese in honor of the cow...I don't remember the cow references it's been too long-I guess they mentioned the cows dying or starving. wasn't there something about pigs too???? I guess i need to re read it.

Kayla Moncur said...

I LOVED that book. Thought it was fabulous. I could probably stand to read it again.

Kayla
Freckles in April | a modest fashion and lifestyle blog

Beth said...

I really liked that book, too! And I, too, need to reread it; it's been awhile. If you search on my blog you can find my thoughts on it.

Our book club gave up on cute treats to match the theme of the book. We usually just have brownies. Mmmm.

Margot said...

Shari- They didn't talk about cows directly, I was thinking of them because the island of Guernsey (much like it's sister island Jersey) is known for cows. Maybe I should make a pig related food item. Pigs in blankets? Ham sandwiches? Bacon?

Kayla and Beth- This was my second time reading it and it was as delightful as the first time. And there were scenes that I knew were coming that still made me bawl.

Brownies do sound good...

Grandma Bonnie said...

My book club meets tonight and we are also reading the same book. I will take potato soup because it is one of my favorites. I make it with chicken broth and a cup of milk, potatoes and onions. I am 80 years old and I remember the horrors of that war. To have a war and get the support of the people it is necessary to generate hate. I had to skip over some of the parts of the story. I know history is important, but I don’t need salt rub into old wounds. I like happy and funny stories and this book didn’t do it for me.

the Rowleys said...

I've read it too. It was great! Our wacky home school moms group passed the book around and found it hilarious because of all the different personalities reminded us of our group.