My main dilemma is that I still go to bed too late to be any good in the morning. Last night after I laid Phoebe down I cleaned the kitchen, called my grandma, and folded laundry. I was just wrapping everything up when Phoebe woke up with a sick stomach. I don't know about you, but when my children are in pain I can't just say, "Oh, I'm letting you go back to sleep on your own, so I'm sorry that your tummy hurts, but I'll see you in the morning." I held her until after midnight.
There are women in my ward that get up at 4:30 in the morning to go to the gym and accomplish everything on their list of things to do for the day. I think they are crazy. They're wonderful women, and my friends, but if I did that I would be weird and twitchy all day long, not to mention completely exhausted and without the patience necessary to deal with the small people at my house.
But I also envy them a bit. I think it would be nice to get up before my children. However, it doesn't seem to matter what time I drag myself out of bed. They (the three under four feet tall) seem to have a sixth sense about when I'm getting up. Without fail at least one of them is awake within minutes of me starting my day.
So, here's my new goal. I want to wake up for the day at 6 in the morning and go to sleep at night between 9 and 10. I have no plan of attack yet to accomplish this, so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.
11 comments:
6 am? That is too early, even for the sun. Are you insinuating that you have more energy that than a giant orb of plasma? Because that would be really cool. We could start calling you Plasmom (or possibly Plas-Ma) and put up photovoltaic cells around you to power our appliances. On the downside, your children would be vaporized (unless they had a similar energy source), so there's that.
I get up at 6 most weekdays, and I hate it. But I lose my steam by 10 - so I am a morning person, but not a that-early-of-a-morning person. I just know that it's the only choice I have if I want to work out every day. Once I've done that, though, I do start feeling good knowing that I've already accomplished something hard. Good luck! BTW, Friday was awesome - we had a splendid time! Thanks for having us.
I mean I lose my steam by 10PM at night. Otherwise my post probably doesn't make sense...sorry. :-)
I feel the same way but have no idea how to accomplish it. I got up early on Saturday and Ansley was up shortly thereafter. Blah. Most days I don't try.
I have the same problem, when I try to get up earlier than my children, they somehow know and wake up earlier too. So I just gave up, and try to get as much done during naps and after they go to bed. Wish I could get up earlier too, but I figure that will have to be during another season of my life, when the little ones are older.
si se puede
I know this is probably not the best way to go about it, but when my sleep swings too crazy I get myself a box of grocery store brand sleep aids and knock myself out at like 8pm for a few nights in a row. It kind of resets my clock and gets me back to an early-to-bed and early-to-rise kind of situation.
Start with your usual bedtime and wake-up time. Every day for a week force yourself, unfinished business or not, to be in bed a half hour before your usual bedtime, and to wake up a half hour early. Push that time back by 30 minutes every week until you reach your goal.
I read this somewhere and it really works for me.
I've thought a lot about getting up earlier too. But my goal was 7am. I've never really made that because my kids aren't awesome sleepers, so I just need the sleep. I am way more productive in the morning. I can get all the chores done and kids and I ready by 10. But after 8 pm? I just veg. lol. Good luck!
i am SUCH night owl. i love my nights. i would love to get up early as well...but i figure time awake without kids is the same weather it's at night or in the morning....and i'm just happier if i feel like i can sleep to a decent hour
This has been my dream for the past four years! I am far from a morning person so it is a daily struggle with me. I want that same exuberance you described. And really, I have no excuses because we helped our kids (no crying it out, except Everett when he was older) to be excellent sleepers from about the time they were six weeks old. What's my excuse? I have none. Just chalk it up to laziness. Yep. That's about right.
If you find something that works, I'd love to hear about it. You're fantastic to even be so productive late at night, so you ought to give yourself kudos for that.
Post a Comment