Really?
I am totally and completely one of those moms that talks about what their kids are doing. Granted, I talk about the good and the bad, but I certainly don't shy away from sharing when my children express their natural brilliance.
One of the women in the article said she tries to steer conversations away from talking about her kids, and anyone else's kids for that matter. If someone did that to me, I would have very little to talk about. Sure, I could bring up some weird thing I saw on Facebook or a blog or read in the news, but the conversation would be short. I'm with the small people all day, every day. For me, talking about them is like someone else talking about their job.
I wonder if it's ever occurred to these women that those moms might not be trying to compete with them. I am genuinely amazed at some of the things my kids do and I get so excited that I want to share with anyone who will listen. I'm not trying to prove that my children are better than anyone else's, I'm simply celebrating the things that they are good at.
It's my right and privilege as their mom to thrill over even the smallest things that they do, and if that upsets or offends those around me, then my sincere apologies.
But I'm not going to stop.
In fact, I promise that there will be at least one my-child-is-brilliant-and-amazing post next week. How silly would it be to go around downplaying the cool things that your kids do and say just to make them seem average and like everyone else? You know, maybe they really are average, but to their mom, those kids are magnificent.
Everyone needs at least one person who thinks they're amazing. Who better than their mom?
9 comments:
My eldest daughter is magnificent.
Well, in your case your kids are amazing and cute. Why *wouldn't* you talk about them?
i'm with you. i see nothing wrong with it. If that's what we're doing 14+ hours a day....that's what's going to make up most of our conversation....
That article seems like people are looking for arguments that aren't there. I learn toward your side. Why not talk about what fills our day, what brings us joy ... even if that is kid-related?? I do talk about other things, but sometimes kids are going to come up, especially on my blog (where some people might stop by for a few minutes, but for my family, we will read and reread for our lifetimes).
And, on the flip side, why not celebrate other people's children instead of feeling that we have to one-up their parents so we feel validated?
That said, I still often feel self-conscious about talking about my kids. It's taken me a long time to unlearn that not all people (especially people who care about me enough to read my blog) are not like those women over on MSN. And I'm not all the way there yet. :-(
When have you ever given into what others might think? It would make sense that one of the most awesome mothers in the world would have wonderful children and the world needs to hear about them-at least this grandma does and that's all that matters in this corner of the world.
Keep the stories, adventures and experiences coming. I know there are many more of us out here waiting to hear them!
Only the people who love you and the kids should have a vote, and we all vote for more stories. All of your children are wonderful and so are you.
I love hearing about all the brilliant things your kids say and do. :) I also love bragging about my daughter. :)
Agreed. I wish there weren't so many crazy people who get offended about anything and everything. Seriously, just because you think you're kid is pretty great?!
I agree. Seriously what else is there to talk about other then what we fill our lives/days with. If a stay-at-home mom talked nothing about her children I would honestly wonder what kind of horrible mother she is. Sure, I have other things to talk about, but my kids are my life, and I'm proud of that.
Post a Comment