Cooper is asleep and has been for almost two hours. The loud sounds he's making consist of breathing and the occasional cough. He did sneeze a few times, so maybe that's the problem.
Actually, I think the real dilemma for Peter is that he would rather be on the couch in the front room where I am instead of in his dark room. I told him to do his best, and no, he could not sleep in my room or the front room. My reason to him was that I was tired and needed to do a few things before I could go to sleep and I needed some quiet "mommy-time."
And now I'm feeling a pang of guilt.
He just wants to hang out with me, right? At least that's what he says. I think he really wants to watch TV and stay up late. Is it unreasonable of me to want a little quiet time during the day? While my children are awake there is constant noise in my house. Even quiet time in the middle of the day consists of Cooper reading to himself, describing the pictures as loud as he possibly can.
I'm loud too. And I talk a lot. A lot. I don't begrudge my children these inherited traits, I just need a little quiet time to recharge before we begin this whole dance again tomorrow.
I can hear Peter still. He's coughing quite forcefully. I don't know if he's asleep and coughing because it's that time of year and our house is dry, or if he's awake and coughing because he's trying to get my attention and I told him to stop yelling for me.
I hope he's asleep.
2 comments:
don't feel bad! mom's need some down time so they can be good moms! my 2 older boys always go round and round about wanting different rooms, etc...and maybe someday they'll get their own room...maybe they won't, but for now i think it's good for them to learn to be flexible and deal with another person (and i hope they look back on these days fondly when they are older). so no guilt!
Have you ever read the Power of Moms blog? So great. There was a post on there about how moms are human too, and even though I think it is important for me not to feel "entitled" to things like quiet time to myself, as Elder Ballard said "you can't draw water from an empty well."
Peter sounds a lot like my oldest. And she only does things like this for attention, which she sometimes needs, but which I try not to give in to at bedtime. You spend the rest of your day trying to meet their every need. No guilt! :)
Post a Comment