Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Dawdle

Phoebe and Cooper like to take their time. Let's be honest, Peter does too. Phoebe and Cooper are probably the biggest culprits though. I'll send them off to get shoes on or grab something before we can leave the house and I have to track them down, only to discover they haven't done whatever it is they were sent to do.

Nine times out of ten I'll find Cooper in his room with a book. I love that he loves books, but I do wish I could convince him to, say, get dressed in the morning before he plunks down with a tome. Yesterday I sent Phoebe to use the bathroom so we could pick the boys up from school and found her a few minutes later clad in a princess dress with barrettes in her hair. I wouldn't have minded so much if her daytime clothes hadn't been discarded in a pile on the floor. The rule round these parts is that you are welcome to leave the house in a costume, as long as you're wearing real clothes underneath. Phoebe just grinned when I asked her to get dressed.

We did not leave when I wanted to.

They are also slow-eater-tiny-bite-takers. I can't begrudge them this since I fall into that category as well, but I do now understand the frustration that my parents must have felt during meals with me.

I feel like most of my day is spent asking someone to hurry up. Aren't I supposed to follow their childlike example and take time to enjoy my surroundings? I think that goal and being on-time anywhere are mutually exclusive.

No comments: