Friday, February 13, 2015

This Is a True Story

I'm often the last person awake at my house. Over the years I've documented my night-owl tendencies and, despite my best efforts, I show no sign of changing my ways. Bryan doesn't really intend to go to sleep before me, but usually Sophie wakes up a few hours after going to sleep when I'm not quite done with my evening to-do list, so Bryan goes and holds her while I finish up. And then he falls asleep, because small children are quite soporific.

Last Saturday was one of those nights. I was cutting out some paper hearts for the next day's Primary singing time activity. Everyone else was upstairs. Peter and Cooper were in their room sleeping. Phoebe was snoozing in her room. Bryan and Sophie were conked out in our room.

I was on the main floor, in the office/dining room, busily snipping. Usually I listen to audio books or watch something on Hulu while I work, but on this night I didn't want to get distracted. Instead, I was sitting in the big quiet room, trying to finish quickly so I could go to sleep. Suddenly, from another room on the main floor, I heard a high-pitched, singsong voice. It did not belong to anyone in my family.

"I see you."

I froze, scissors in mid slice. Working to calm my rapidly beating heart, I thought very seriously about abandoning my project and scurrying upstairs to wake Bryan.

But I didn't.

After I stopped freaking out, I discovered that one of Sophie's toys, a stuffed dog that had originally belonged to Peter, had been left on. If it sits idle for too long, it talks to remind you that it's still on. "I see you" is one of those phrases. Knowing what had been talking to me helped me feel a little better. Still, I didn't linger after my project was done.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I can hear the "Twilight Zone" theme. That is one creepy toy.

Elise said...

I read this post yesterday and was slightly freaked out for you. Then last night Lowell was running errands, the boys were asleep, so I hopped in the shower. Suddenly the lights in the bathroom turned off. Petrified I looked out of the shower, the only lights off were the bathroom lights so the house didn't lose power. I got out and discovered the motion detector/energy saver on the light was activated and the lights had gone too long without motion near the switch and automatically shut off. Knowing what caused the turn off didn't help...I was scared and on edge until Lowell got home. Not cool.

Melody said...

How creepy! A few nights ago I was home alone and heard a tap of the window. I froze in place and stared at the window as there was another tap. Echo heard it to and started barking. I wasn't sure what to do as it was night, I was alone, and couldn't imagine who or why someone would be tapping on our basement window. After a nerve wrecking wait I realized the loose window screen was creating the noise!

Melody said...

How creepy! A few nights ago I was home alone and heard a tap of the window. I froze in place and stared at the window as there was another tap. Echo heard it to and started barking. I wasn't sure what to do as it was night, I was alone, and couldn't imagine who or why someone would be tapping on our basement window. After a nerve wrecking wait I realized the loose window screen was creating the noise!