The red light I had been waiting on changed to green and I realized all the cars in front of me were changing lanes. All the cars, except one. I followed suit, just in time for the light to change to red again. I glanced over to my right at the older model red car, hazards blinking, a petite grandma in the driver's seat.
I looked at the clock. Did I have time to stop? And if I did stop, what service could I provide? I was debating my next move when I saw two road construction workers in the turn lane to my left. They were unloading equipment, preparing to start their work.
"Please see that woman," I thought. "Come on, look over there."
While one pulled something heavy from their truck, the other glanced over his shoulder in the direction of the woman. I saw a quick moment of decision pass over his face, then he gestured to his coworker to put the machine down and follow him. I watched as the two men walked over to the woman, asked how they could help, and prepared to push her car out of traffic and into the parking lot of a gas station on the opposite corner. The light changed and I drove off as they helped her out of her car.
I'm sure those two men have no idea I was watching their actions. Nor will they ever know how deeply impressed I was. I saw a need, but didn't have the resources to help. They did and they put those resources to good use.
There are good people in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment