On Saturday I told the kids about the terrorist attacks on Paris. I didn't provide many details, but I did tell them that many people in Paris died because of what happened. The kids asked why someone would do that. That's a question that I've asked myself. Why? Why bring death and sadness and pain? And why do it in the name of religion? I told them that there are people in the world that want to hurt others because of what they believe. And I said that we need to make sure we don't do that.
I know that Heavenly Father loves his children and doesn't want them to hurt each other, especially not in his name. Peter's best friend in school this year is a boy from Syria, so this subject was already on my mind. Peter asked him why they left their country and his friend told him that evil men were in charge and it wasn't safe to stay.
My children's education of world events is scary, but important. I want them to understand that not everyone thinks the way they do. I want them to be brave in spite of that.

No comments:
Post a Comment