I needed to run a few errands that I've been putting off because they required me to take kids to the mall. I don't dislike malls when I'm by myself or with Bryan on a date or strolling and chatting with a friend. It's great to be able to get so much done at one location. But the mall with kids? Just the thought causes my motivation to drain out into a sad little puddle of procrastination.
I finally gave in today and put a positive spin on it when I told the girls we would have a girly day adventure. They were very excited until they realized that I had to actually accomplish things while we were out. So I interspersed my must-do activities with fun things for them.
We bought nail polish at Claire's, a clearance dress at JCPenny's, and rhinestone encrusted sunglasses at Children's Place. I really stepped outside my financial comfort zone and and splurged for ice cream (that we shared) and doughnut holes.
The most exciting part of our day? A ride on the mall carousel.
Phoebe was vocal about how much she loved the day, despite her equally vocal dislike of any stop that didn't have fun stuff for her.
I was paying at one store when the sales-person tried to get me to buy me a few more items so I could qualify for a free bottle of perfume. I didn't need the clothes and certainly didn't need the perfume. She was really pushing it when I said, "Oh, no thank you, I'm not really a perfume person."
Phoebe piped up with confirmation. "She's not fancy."
I may not be fancy, but today was proof that I can cater to the fancy people most important to me.


No comments:
Post a Comment