Friday, May 27, 2016

Want Screen Time?

We spent our first day of summer vacation in a lazy, TV-filled stupor. I knew the boys were looking forward to rest and relaxation after the busy school year, so I figured I would let them have yesterday. Then, today, I introduced them to this.


At first there was some general grumbling. Then, after a trip to the library for a fresh batch of books, Peter caught the vision of the job list. He made his bed, scrubbed a bathroom, started and finished two novels (reading level requirements go into effect tomorrow), read several picture books, happily practiced his piano pieces, and made scrambled eggs and apple juice for the family dinner. During bedtime I asked what he thought of the new screen time system. His answer: "It's awesome!"

Phoebe got sort of excited about it. She read several books as well, made her bed, cleared the table (which doesn't appear on the list but still earned her a few minutes), and scrubbed another bathroom.

Cooper read lots of books and made his bed, but definitely is not as into the list as Peter and Phoebe. I hope their enthusiasm rubs off on him.

No comments: