Last week the kids and I drove up to Jim Thorpe, PA and rode the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway with some friends from church. We learned during our visit that at one time this town was the second most popular tourist destination in the country. The little bit of the town that I saw reminded me of Disneyland, not because it had rides (I believe the train was the only ride available), but rather because of the quaint shops.
It was a warm, sunny day. Also, someone in our group didn't want his picture taken.
We sat in the open car, which was fun and terrifying. It was fun because the cool air came into the car and we felt closer to the woods outside. It was terrifying because my kids don't have a great track record for following instructions like "keep your arms and head inside." But good news, after a few reminders, they stayed inside the car.
We were encouraged to stand and walk around while the train was in motion. My kids found the padlocked door in the side of the car. That part was exciting, at least for me.
We passed several pretty waterfalls.
And we drove through beautiful green woods.
Sophie got tired of watching the woods and river that we were passing, so she retreated to the backpack of books that I had each child bring. She sat and drew for a little while.
Halfway through the ride, we stopped long enough for the engine to unhitch and drive to the opposite end of the train. There were also a few people that left the train with their bicycles to ride those back. Peter thought that was amazing and has decided that the scouts in our ward should do the same bike ride.
A freight train passed us while we waited.
When we returned to the beginning of the line a friendly bear was available for pictures.
We crossed the street and had lunch. That made the long drive back home much more pleasant.
On our walk to the car we stopped for a picture by the river. The kids all wanted to get closer to the water. I opted to keep our clothes and shoes dry.
We haven't had many adventures this summer, so I was glad that this one was so successful.













No comments:
Post a Comment