I started this post almost a year ago. I loved keeping track of the books I read in 2017, so I decided to do it again in 2018. This time I broke it down by month. February and March didn't yield much, but I made up for it elsewhere. Some of these books are short, some are looong. Team of Rivals and Gone With the Wind added up to nearly one hundred hours of listening. For the most part I listened to books, but the ones I actually read are underlined. The titles that are starred were incredibly inspiring or stuck with me and made me think long after I finished reading.
If my math is correct, I read one hundred and sixteen books this year. My goal for the year was fifty-two. I realized at the end of June that I'd completed my goal. I guess I could have stopped reading for the year, but that would have been wildly out of character for me. Most of my reading/listening was done while holding Topher late at night/early in the morning. I haven't watched much TV this year, so the majority of my entertainment has come in the form of books, which is just how I like it.
I'm setting the same book goal for this year. I'm off to a good start. I've already finished one book and started two others. And of course I already have my list going, scheduled to publish one year from today.
What books did you read last year? Anything I should add to my list?
January:
If my math is correct, I read one hundred and sixteen books this year. My goal for the year was fifty-two. I realized at the end of June that I'd completed my goal. I guess I could have stopped reading for the year, but that would have been wildly out of character for me. Most of my reading/listening was done while holding Topher late at night/early in the morning. I haven't watched much TV this year, so the majority of my entertainment has come in the form of books, which is just how I like it.
I'm setting the same book goal for this year. I'm off to a good start. I've already finished one book and started two others. And of course I already have my list going, scheduled to publish one year from today.
What books did you read last year? Anything I should add to my list?
January:
- 39 Clues Book Ten: Into the Gauntlet
- Women and the Priesthood by Sheri Dew*
- 39 Clues Book Eleven: Vespers Rising
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Make Your Bed by Admiral William H. McRaven
- A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
- The Gospel at 30,000 Feet by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- Smarter, Faster, Better by Charles Duhigg
- David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Mother Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows* (This was a reread and, my goodness, I still love this book so much.)
February:
March:
- Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
March:
- Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl (Read aloud with Cooper.)
- Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
April:
- What Would a Holy Woman Do? by Wendy Watson Nelson*
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
- The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
- Seek This Jesus by Neill Marriott
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
- Because We Love Our Marriage by Gary and Joy Lundberg
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- The American Spirit by David McCullough
- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
- The Lincoln Hypothesis by Timothy Ballard
- Cress by Marissa Meyer
May:
- Winter by Marissa Meyer
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
- The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
- Killer Angels by Michael Shaara*
- The Book of Mormon*
- The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- Frindle by Andrew Clements*
- However Long and Hard the Road by Jeffrey R. Holland*
June:
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- How to Be Totally Miserable by John Bytheway
- Everything I Need to Know I Learned at Home by John Bytheway
- Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris Heimerdinger
- Gadiantons and the Silver Sword by Chris Heimerdinger
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
- Behind Every Good Man by John Bytheway
- Habits of Holy Men by Lloyd D. Newell and Don. H Staheli*
- A Heart Like His by Virginia H. Pearce*
- Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
July:
- The Feathered Serpent Part One by Chris Heimerdinger
- The Feathered Serpent Part Two by Chris Heimerdinger
- The Sacred Quest by Chris Heimerdinger
- The Littlest Bigfoot by Jennifer Weiner
- James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (Read aloud with Cooper.)
- The Book of Mormon*
- The Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz*
- Righteous Warriors by John Bytheway
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes*
August:
- Stars Above by Marissa Meyer
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
- Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
- The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
- The Melchizedek Priesthood: Understanding the Doctrine, Living the Principles*
- Being the Mom: 10 Coping Strategies I Learned by Accident Because I Had Children on Purpose by Emily Watts*
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
September:
- Covenant Keepers by Wendy Watson Nelson
- Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
- Ghost by Jason Reynolds
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds*
- Educated by Tara Westover*
- Feeding the Dragon by Sharon Washington
- A Most Magical Girl by Karen Foxlee
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- How Do I Know If I Know? by John Bytheway
- Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee by Ann Madsen
October:
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Read aloud with Sophie.)
- Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Women of the Blue and Gray by Marianne Monson*
- Because of the Messiah in a Manger by Brad Wilcox*
- Taking the Temple with You by S. Michael Wilcox and Wendy L. Watson
- For the Glory by Duncan Hamilton
- Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson
- Glorious Truths About Mother Eve by Susan Easton Black*
- Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
- Lost and Found by Andrew Clements
November:
- Creating Your Forever Family by Rachel A. Sullivan*
- Gather 'Round the Sound: Holiday Stories from Beloved Authors and Great Performers Across the Globe by Yvonne Morrison, Paulo Coehlo, and Charles Dickens
- The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
- Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
- Joy In the Covenant by Julie B. Beck*
- One By One by David A. Bednar*
- Carried by Angie Taylor and Michelle Schmidt*
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
- Saints Volume 1 The Standard of Truth
- Remember, Remember, Remember by Clint Pulver
- Finding Your Mission in Life by George D. Durrant
- Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
- He Knows You by Hank Smith
December:
- Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull
- Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass by Fredrick Douglass
- Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
- The Book of Mormon*
- Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull
- Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull
- Glorious Truths about Mary, Mother of Jesus by Susan Easton Black
- By Divine Design by Ronald A. Rasband*
- Recipe for Revelation by Eric D. Richards
- Jingle Bell Pop by John Seabrook
- Out of the Best Books by S. Michael Wilcox*
- Dragonwatch, Vol. 2: Wrath of the Dragon King by Brandon Mull
3 comments:
Wow, this is really impressive!!
Now I see what you mean about already starting on your 2019 list (which I asked you about in my email last night). I do still want to know how you get ahold of so much LDS material, though! I hadn't even heard of Brad Wilcox's "Messiah in the Manger" until late November when I saw it at Deseret Book on their endcap, but you read it in October (I think that was when it was published?!) But I guess you are listening to these? Do you have Deseret Bookshelf or something? Maybe I just answered my own question!
We read Seek This Jesus, One by One, and Carried at about the same times this year. I also reread Guernsey this year, too! Because the Netflix movie, of course. ;-)
Your list is very inspiring! I'm impressed that you read the Book of Mormon 3 times.
=0)
😮
Post a Comment