Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Book It

At the beginning of 2017 I was in three book clubs and then was invited to join a fourth. I was excited at the prospect of all that reading and I realized that maybe I could crank out a book each week. I decided, somewhat belatedly, to aim to read fifty-two books by the end of the year. I decided that ebooks, audiobooks, and actual made-with-paper books would all count toward my reading goal.

I started this list to keep track of the books I'd read. Three of them are close to one thousand pages long each, so I wasn't sure I'd make my goal. Then I never ended up joining the fourth book club and at the end of September, the third book club fizzled. Still, I kept reading/listening.

If you've scrolled down to the bottom of this post, you'll have seen that I surpassed my goal and read seventy-six books. Some of those were fairly short, but like I said, I read a few very long books as well, so hopefully that adds some balance. The majority of books were of the audio variety. The titles with stars next to them were not audiobooks, only fifteen out of the total. I listened while I cleaned, sewed, snuggled kids late at night, exercised. I usually listen to audiobooks at nearly double their regular speed, though that varies based on the narrator.

The book titles that are underlined were profound, they stuck with me and I continued to think about them long after I had finished; they are the best of the books I read this year. I enjoyed nearly all the rest. Admittedly there were a few I had to push through, but I finished almost all the books I started this year. There were a handful that I returned unread to the library because of adult content and two that I started and didn't finish in time to put on this list.

I think I'd like to repeat this goal for 2018 and read/listen to another fifty-two books.

Did you read any good books this year? I'd love some recommendations.
  1. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wreade
  2. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
  3. When Breath Becomes Air by Dr. Paul Kalanithi
  4. The Scarlett Pimpernel by Emma Orczy
  5. The Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan*
  6. Daughters in My Kingdom
  7. The Vanishing Year by Kate Moretti*
  8. Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
  9. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  10. In Such Good Company by Carol Burnett
  11. John Adams by David McCullough
  12. Still Alice by Lisa Genova
  13. The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
  14. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter
  15. Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli
  16. The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg
  17. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
  18. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
  19. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
  20. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  21. Divergent by Veronica Roth
  22. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
  23. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
  24. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
  25. Parnassus On Wheels by Christopher Morley
  26. The Wright Brothers by David McCullough
  27. Night by Elie Wiesel
  28. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
  29. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
  30. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
  31. The Death Cure by James Dashner
  32. Wee Free Men by Terry Prachett
  33. Road Trip by Gary Paulsen*
  34. Poldark by Winston Graham
  35. A Blue Spool of Thread by Anne Tyler*
  36. Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. Meyer
  37. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
  38. Matched by Ally Condie
  39. Crossed by Ally Condie
  40. Reached by Ally Condie*
  41. The Magnolia Story by Joanna and Chip Gaines
  42. The Book of Mormon
  43. Death Comes to Pemberly by P.D. James
  44. The Metropolitans by Carol Goodman*
  45. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
  46. Field Trip by Gary Paulsen*
  47. Atlantia by Ally Condie*
  48. Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
  49. The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan*
  50. Woof by Spencer Quinn
  51. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
  52. 39 Clues Book One: Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
  53. Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
  54. 39 Clues Book Two: One False Note by Gordon Korman
  55. 39 Clues Book Three: The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
  56. Belgravia by Julian Fellowes
  57. The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine by Mark Twain, Philip Stead, and Erin Stead
  58. Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
  59. The Washington Hypothesis by Timothy Ballard
  60. Worth the Wrestle by Sheri Dew
  61. No Ordinary Women by Elaine S. Dalton
  62. 39 Clues Book Four: Beyond the Grave by Jude Watson*
  63. Amazed by Grace by Sheri Dew
  64. No Doubt About It by Sheri Dew
  65. 39 Clues Book Five: The Black Circle by Patrick Carman*
  66. Shepherds, Why This Jubilee? by Jeffery R. Holland
  67. Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas by Emily Belle Freeman
  68. 39 Clues Book Six: In Too Deep by Jude Watson*
  69. Worth the Wrestle by Sheri Dew (I listened to this twice.)
  70. Lieutenant Terry's Christmas Fudge by Gerald N. Lund
  71. Jacob T. Marley by R. William Bennett
  72. Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright
  73. 39 Clues Book Seven: The Viper's Nest by Peter Lerangis*
  74. 39 Clues Book Eight: The Emperor's Code by Gordon Korman*
  75. 39 Clues Book Nine: Storm Warning by Linda Sue Park*
  76. The Christmas Jars Reunion by Jason F. Wright

6 comments:

Emily said...

What a great list!! I loved the Wednesday wars! I loved divergent, liked insurgent, and didn't like allegiant because of the false science premise/contradicting earlier books. Have you read The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill? It was easily one of my favorites last year!

Margot said...

I haven't read it, but it was one from your list that looked interesting. And yes, Wednesday Wars was a delight, especially given my love of The Bard.

Brett M said...

Wow. Just wow. Now I'm marveling that you got any sleep at all!

Emily said...

I hope you read it and enjoy it! Which Shakespeare play should I have Ansley read first?

Margot said...

I've really been pondering this question. I would go for a comedy first, just to get comfortable with the language, though having read the scriptures, that should be easier for her than some. Some of the comedies are heavier in tone (The Merchant of Venice and As You Like It being the two that pop to mind) and many are, um, kind of adult (I'm looking at you Midsummer Night's Dream), so maybe Twelfth Night? Or Much Ado About Nothing. I recommend getting a copy with excellent footnotes and reading along with her. Shakespeare is meant to be read aloud, so it's more fun with multiple people to take part. And I would find a good film adaptation to watch afterward, since his works are always better performed. I'm sure that was more information than you wanted, but I clearly have opinions about this subject...

Emily said...

Very helpful!!! Thank you! 💜