With just a few hours left before we needed to head our separate ways, we took the subway south and caught a glimpse of Lady Liberty.
Photo credit: Brett
After some wandering and searching for the right subway station, we made it back to the hotel. We gathered our belongings and headed for our final New York bucket list item: The New York Public Library. I would expect nothing less from our little book club.
Photo credit: Brett
It's a gorgeous building, inside and out.
Photo credit: Brett
Since we were nearly out of time, we made a beeline for the children's department, the home of the original Pooh Bear and friends. They live in a glass case and are worn, but it's the kind of worn that comes from being loved so much. That's the type of worn that I aspire to.
Photo credit: Brett
Also, Lego lion.
And this is what the entryway to the library looks like. It is so beautiful!
Photo credit: Brett
I had waited too long and had to run. We said our goodbyes as Brett went to the hotel to retrieve her suitcase before going to JFK and her flight home to Utah and I hustled over to Port Authority. I was so proud of myself for not getting lost at all. And it was pretty important that I not detour, I got to my gate just before they started boarding. The two-hour bus ride home was pleasant and restful, though I wish I had known we couldn't eat during the trip. My snacks stayed in my bag and I focused on the book I was listening to to distract from my hunger.
Bryan brought all the kids to the airport (bus station) to pick me up. The first thing Phoebe said to me when I opened the door was, "You look younger!"
True story.
I am happy to report that I was a calmer, happier, more fun mom that first week. And all those positive benefits lasted an entire seven days. I'm only slightly less fun now, still muuuuuuuch better off mentally and emotionally than I was before the trip.
Big thanks go to two people for making this adventure possible. Thanks for trekking all over NYC and binge-watching Broadway with me Brett! It was an absolute delight! And huge thanks to Bryan for not only keeping everyone alive and fed while I was gone, but also providing a fun weekend for the kids. Need proof? Here are the pictures he sent me while I was gone:
They ate fun food, watched movies, and played video games. Several sisters at church on Sunday asked Bryan and the kids how everything was going in my absence. Sophie was quick to explain that they had had the BEST TIME EVER!
I think we all benefited from my reset.
*Final quote in the title for this trip, anybody want to guess what it's from?











2 comments:
No, thank YOU!
I lived your grand adventure through you and had a great time! Don't wait too long to go on another. I'm dying to know where "we" are going next! Thanks for sharing your wonderful time.
Shari :)
Post a Comment