Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Lullaby

I need to pick the girls up from the bus stop at a certain time each afternoon. This time falls right when Topher used to nap. Because of this schedule, I've taught Topher to take one long nap each day rather than the two he used to take. On weekdays this works fine.

But Sundays are rough.

Why? Because that important long nap occupies the same chunk of time during our day as church. He used to get a short nap before we left, but not anymore. This means that by the time we head home after choir, he's exhausted and sometimes hysterical.

That was the case this past Sunday. He was SO TIRED. Neither Bryan nor I could calm him down as we drove. We tried speaking in soothing voices, playing classical music, reassuring him we would be home soon. None of it even slowed him down.

Then one of the kids started to sing I Am a Child of God. Soon all four big kids were singing to him. I joined in as well. We sang the entire way home.

And it worked. Topher calmed to the point that he dozed off just before we got to our house. A lovely peaceful feeling filled the van and the grins on their faces showed that all of the big kids knew they had done something special for their tired baby brother.